Wednesday, September 5, 2007

BIOSHOCK(ing-ly good!)

The other week I went out and bought Bioshock. Even before I'd actually opened the beautifully crafted tin that the DVD was nestled in, I knew I'd purchased something special. When I'd gotten through the lengthy install process I was proven to be right. the gameplay, graphics and story were all spot on. I don't think I've ever played a fps with as much depth, beauty and creativity as this game.


Beautifully creepy...

The story, for those of you that don't know, revolves around the progagonist, Jack. At the beginning of the game a plane, in which Jack is a passanger on, crash lands into the atlantic ocean near a lighthouse which so happens to be the entrance to Rapture, an underwater city that's fallen into chaos.
The city is under the control of it's creator, Andrew Ryan, a man that wanted to make a city free of government and god. Rapture is also swarming with mad, genetically modified people called splicers whom have become this way because of a substance called ADAM, a scientific discovery made in the 1950's, a few years before the game is set.
Though the story is a good one, it'd take so long to type it out that I'm not going to bother, but at the very least everyone should check out a review or something!

I finished bioshock today, which, like a good book, has made me a little sad that I'm done and yet happy that I know how the story ends.
I really can't be sure, but I think it took me a good 15 or so hours to complete. I'm positive that I could have reached my final goal quicker, but there's just so many things to sidetrack the player and deepen the story of Rapture.
This is one of my favorite things about the game, it tries really hard to get a good story across. An example of one of the "sidetracks" is fairly near to the start of the game. If you decide to hack into a certain locked room you'll find a dead man and woman lying next to each other in bed. Nearby, the player can find an audio diary which houses the last words of the couple detailing, through their sobs, how they've decided to end their lives together rather than keep living in the decaying and dangerous city around them.
It's a fantastic game that I would reccomend to any gamer.


A little bit of fan art I couldn't resist doing once I'd finished!

No comments: