Sunday, March 11, 2007

Task 22: GDC

GDC; the games designer's conference. To be quite frank, I knew very little about it before now. The only major games event that I really knew anything about was E3, but then, everyone knew about that epic annual event.

While looking through various sources on GDC I discovered that the most interesting thing to me wasn't any of the actual confrences, talks, demonstrations or announcements, it was infact the "I am 8-bit" contest.

This contest, to those who haven't read anything on it, is for artists of varying types (from digital to sculpter) to put forward pieces of artwork related to 80's gaming. From what I've seen, entries have been crazily creative, ranging from an old grenade cut and painted to look like Pacman all the way to a comic-book-esque picture of a super-buff Mario battling a very different looking Bowser (or king koopa as he once was...)

Last year's winners
A few more entries


Awesome

No comments: